Friday, September 10, 2010

How iPad can help me make the match.


One of the most important aspects of technology is its applicability. How can I use it to do my job better. One of the most important roles I play in the library is matchmaker: matching the book/resource to the need.

After performing a simple search with the keyword "library" the App store delivered a important tool to place in my librarian toolkit.

ICDL-Free Books for Children-International Children's Digital Library

I see this App as offering more than one use. At first glance it is a way to read books to your children or have children read books on the iPad or iPhone. The books come in every language you can imagine and one can filter by Award Winning Books, Cover Color, Picture Books, to name a few.

In addition to this function the App is a tool for the Librarian when performing the role of Reader Advisor. The strength of this App is the database of books written in languages other than the primary languages we all thing of. For example A librarian in Virginia went online to the International Children's Digital Library to help a local man find books in Farsi that he could read to his children. Read the full article here.

Powerful tools are available to use and I hope to find more to share with you in the coming weeks. If anyone can provide additional App recommendations for today's Children's Librarian I welcome your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment